It all started back in late 2020:
As part of the Transition Town movement:
It was inspired by goings on in Tooting:
And was launched in the spring of 2021:
With lots of news coverage over the ensuing months:
THE AWARDS CEREMONY:
A celebration of community efforts!
The Awards Ceremony took place on Friday 22 October 2021:
This is a celebration of community:
The official results for the 2021 Awards are announced!
Firstly, there are the winners and runners-up as chosen by the panel of judges, made up of Cllr Chris Lockyear, STC Vice Chair; Professor Brian Golding, represented at the Awards ceremony by Richard Eley, President of the Chamber of Commerce; and Chris Woodruff, Manager of the East Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
- Community Award Winner: Di Fuller (Sid Valley Help)
- Community Award Runner Up: Woolbrook News
- Resilience Award Winner: Kyle Baker Photography
- Resilience Award Runner Up: Sidmouth Primary School
- Sustainability Award Winner: Sidmouth Plastic Warriors
- Sustainability Award Runner Up: Fillfull Shop, Sidmouth
Because of the many excellent nominations received, the Vision Group decided to make some additional awards, which are:
- Chairman’s Award: Sidmouth Voluntary Services
- Highly Commended: Sid Valley Practice
- Special Mention: Thomas Franklin
VGS Chair Peter says, “The response to the Champions Awards far exceeded our expectations, and showed the enthusiasm throughout our community for recognising the major role volunteers played during lockdown, to keep the wheels turning on so many new fronts.”
The photos from the Awards ceremony now available!
If you’d like to look through the photos taken by Tony Spooner on the evening:
If you’d like to give some input from the 2021 Champions Awards – with a view to a 2022 programme – please fill in the online form: